Black & White Beginners Day One
Saturday 11th June 2022
10:00 - 5:00pm
£80 / £65 concession
Tutor: Tiu Makkonen
Designed for absolute beginners, or for people wanting a thorough refresher, this one day course will take you through the manual settings of a film SLR camera, giving you complete control over exposure and an understanding of how aperture and shutter speed can be used to pre-visualise your photographs with creative effect. It also covers how to load, shoot and hand process a B&W 35mm film. The perfect start for your analogue photography journey!
If you have a 35mm film SLR camera bring it along, if not let us know and we can supply one.
Film and chemistry are supplied.
· 35mm SLR Camera - how the camera works.
· Shutter - shutter speeds and their associated effects.
· Aperture - its effect on depth of field and image style.
· Setting correct exposure using the light meter in the camera.
· Working with aperture and shutter speeds to achieve creative control over your photographs.
· Film ASA, different types of film sensitivity explained and loading Film.
· Taking photographs in the local area on a 36 exposure film. Including some techniques to improve your composition.
· Introduction to film processing equipment and to process the room.
· Introduction to how to load & process films.
Tiu Makkonen is a fine art and freelance photographer originally from Finland who has been living and working in Scotland for over a decade. Tiu has exhibited her work in both group and solo shows and currently works as the Facility Assistant at Street Level Photoworks. More info here