B&W Beginners Evening
Tuesday 5th & 12th July 2022
6:00pm - 9:00pm
£80 / £65 concession
Tutor: Tiu Makkonen
Designed for absolute beginners, or for people wanting a thorough refresher, this course runs over two evenings and will take you through the manual settings of a 35mm film SLR camera, giving you complete control over exposure and an understanding of how aperture and shutter speed can be used to pre-visualise your photographs with creative effect. It also covers how to load, shoot and hand process a B&W 35mm film. The perfect start for your analogue photography journey!
If you have a film SLR camera bring it along, if not let us know and we can supply one.
Film and chemistry are supplied.
Course contents: Session One
35mm SLR Camera - How the Camera Works
· Shutter/ shutter speeds and their associated effects.
· Aperture and its effect on depth of field/ image style.
· Setting correct exposure using the light meter in the camera.
· Working with aperture and shutter speeds to achieve creative control over your photographs.
· Film ASA, different types of film sensitivity explained.
· Loading Film (36 exposure film provided)
· Taking photographs in the local area and some tips and techniques to improve your composition.
Course contents: Session Two
Processing your B&W film
· Introduction to film processing equipment and to the process room.
· Introduction to how to load & process films.
Tiu Makkonen is a fine art and freelance photographer originally from Finland who has been living and working in Scotland for over a decade. Tiu has exhibited her work in both group and solo shows and currently works as the Facility Assistant at Street Level Photoworks. More info here